Sunday 27 November 2011

Vodka, Wolves, Russian Men and The Bolshoi

When I go to L's apartment I am now known by the security men so they let me in to the lift with their card so that I can get up to the apartment.  Normally L or the housekeeper O answers the door and I give a chirpy 'hi' but not this time, oh no, this time A opens the door and while I am saying my chirpy 'hi' I stop mid way through as A is not wearing a top. So there I am sputtering, trying to keep cool and carry on but I swear he must have thought I was an idiot.  I didn't know where to look. I doubt he was trying to emulate Putin and his bare chested publicity stunt but you never know.

I purchased my first bottle of Vodka this week.  Now going shopping for Vodka is not like in Sainsburys where there is one slim shelf of vodka and not much choice but also very expensive. Here in Moscow you have shelves of Vodka as far as the eye can see, and with prices ranging from 90RUB upwards it catered for every Russian.  I was spoilt for choice and didn't know what to choose but the kitsch inside me decided for me and I purchased a bottle which as you see in the picture explains it. All I needed now was this ridiculously good looking buff guy (topless of course and I wouldn't splutter, I tell you that much !) from True Blood to make it perfect.




It was mid priced when it comes to Vodka and tasted just fine. D's landlord who used to live in her apartment left no proper cups but plenty of shot glasses.   

On Friday one of my dreams while I am in Russia came true, Through the BWC (British Women's Club) a tour was put on and I got to look around the newly renovated Bolshoi Theatre.  It did not disappoint! The guide was a Russian lady and she was very scary, and we felt like a group of school girls who had been naughty.  We got to go into the auditorium and look at the stage and it is massive!! and the rake on the stage is quite steep.  It wasn't as good as the ROH tour as you didn't get to see any workshops or dancers around but we did get to see some vintage opera costumes on display from the 1970s. I will put some photos on my blog tomorrow as my internet is so slow at the moment but I do have a dongle so not too surprising. Hopefully going to see a ballet at The Bolshoi in February or March.  

I think this is due to the wild and windy weather we are having at the moment but snow is in the forecast for the next few days.  Bring it on!!!! I am prepared with my new down filled knee length coat with a detachable fur collar, and yes before you ask the fur is real but it keeps me nice and warm and isn't a fashion accessory.  

You do find yourself with a lot of fur envy and I had to stop myself this week buying the softest fur hat ever but it was 18,000 RUB which immediately put me off.  Fur is everywhere in Moscow and onetime I had to travel by metro at rush hour and I somehow managed to get squished between 3 ladies, all wearing fur coats. I tried to stop myself from stroking the coats and found out I was doing it without thinking. Luckily the metro train was quite bumpy so had an excuse if I was caught.   

Off to choir in the morning at the apartment block for retired KGB agents.  



No comments:

Post a Comment