Wednesday 16 November 2011

Pushkin and Chasniks

  Last Thursday I went out to Booze Bub with friends and after we went on to another bar called Bourbon Street. It all started off well, our drinks were served quickly and we sat at the bar but it all went to hell in a hand-basket after that, but to cut a long story short, even I who has never worked in a bar before knows that you always serve someone their drink first before you present the bill, this did not happen. D got the bill and no drink and the staff played the 'we speak no Anglessski' card, so we left pretty quickly after that as the bouncer had come over, but don't get me wrong, I have mainly had nothing but good service in shops and restaurants and friendly staff who help you. I stayed over at D's apartment that night as we were after the last metro. D lives in the centre so it was only a short taxi ride.  Can you find an official taxi at two in the morning, hell no! so we got one of the chasnik 'gypsy' taxis which is a non metered taxi but D had been in one before and assured me we would be alright.  After a few taxi stopping and confusing us with being ladies of the night we got in one and he was really sweet and kissed our hands at the end. The Russian authorities have apparently banned these 'gypsy' taxis but with only 9000 licensed cabs in the whole city I think it will be a while yet before people stop using them.

Yesterday I went to the Cafe Pushkin where the Russians come to be seen with a friend, we went in the cafe next door though, which was a little less formal and did nice lunches. The decor was beautiful, French Rococo style, lots of gold gilt and pale blue walls and chandeliers but this paled into insignificance with the heavenly cakes and pastries displayed. Luckily this time I took some pictures:

 My dessert was shaped like a rose, with a chocolate and blackberry mousse inside and jasmine jelly on the top. Divine!!!


 More yummy goodness!
This is the dessert I am going to have next time. It is a combination of meringue, berry mousse and nuts. Truly scrumptious!

The only sour note of our experience dining here was that a glass of wine was horrendously expensive and it was a very small glass.

I managed to get a good amount of exercise this afternoon which thinking about it now was a good thing when I looked at the photos from yesterday! as the lift broke down in the apartment block, so a walk up twelve flights of stairs was required which soon warmed me up. I now add ten minutes onto my getting ready as takes time to put boots, hat, scarf and gloves on but also remembering which coat I left my gloves/metro card/phone in.  


No comments:

Post a Comment