Tuesday 11 October 2011

Catch Up Blog


1st October 2011

Arrived at Heathrow and was pleasantly surprised that my bag only weighed 19kg, wish I had put a bit more in but to be honest I don’t think I could fit anything else in.  My hand luggage was so heavy that I needed some help to put it in the overhead locker! It is one of the joys of being vertically challenged.  The flight wasn’t busy so had the seat next to me free.  I was sat in the row behind the bulkhead between cattle and business class and the ladies in front had to put their handbags in the overhead locker.  The male cabin crew member put one bag up in the overhead locker but behind him was a young Russian lady with a fake Chanel bag and she got really huffy that he didn’t put hers up.   

Arrived at Domodevo and saw the Russian spectacle of men meeting wives/mothers/girlfriends giving bunches of flowers.  It was quite sweet.  The Vienna Boys Choir came through as well, dressed in their sailor suits. 

My flight landed early so I had a bit of a wait until the driver came.  His name is Alexander and he can't speak hardly any English!  We went to the car and lo and behold it was a S class Merc with blacked out windows. It was so cliché, but very comfortable.  Russian drivers OMG!!!!!!! Road rules, what road rules? I think Alexander likes to pretend he is with the mafia or something as anyone would think he was in Grand Theft Auto but with cheesy Russian pop music being played on the radio.   The traffic in Moscow is terrible!  It felt like we were driving around Moscow for ages.  It took Alexander 2 hours to get to the airport. 

Pulled up to where my flat is and again another Russian cliché.  It is in a circa 1960’s/1970’s or even earlier tower block and there is a code to get into the building and a door you have to unlock on your floor to get into where your flat is.  

I am on the 12th Floor of 20 and the flat hasn’t been lived in for ages.  It is a nice size and if it had some money spent on it, it could look amazing.  I only spent a few minutes in it as I had to go shopping to get some food. 

Russian supermarkets, well what can I say; most things I could kind of understand as they were well known brands but naturally more expensive and being so tired I almost forgot to pick up my change at the checkout.  Food is expensive in Moscow so I am going to have to get to know Russian brands.  

Got back to my flat realised how dirty is it, so have started off by sweeping the laminate floors and this has made a difference already.  I am going to ask A’s wife if she has some cleaning equipment I can borrow as have to get the flash or equivalent on the floor and don’t get me started on the bathroom!!!   Will have to get someone to check out the washing machine as think it is leaking.

Think whoever got the furniture was a bit of a narcissist as there are loads of mirrors.  I can’t get away from them.  At Padworth they were on three sides of the bathroom but at least the flat is light and airy.  I have put my icon from Sienna up and also my three pictures from Catherine.  Will get a pin board asap to put other stuff up or even blu tack.  

Luckily I don’t start until 4.45pm tomorrow with L so get to have a bit of a lie in.   

No comments:

Post a Comment