Thursday 22 December 2011

December and a Russian Round up

December has been a busy month with the choir I sing in.  We had two concerts in one week, one at the beautiful Norwegian Embassy where I even got to talk to the Norwegian Ambassador and not a Ferrero Rocher in sight! but mind you the Russian TV advert for Ferrero Rocher has the lovely Russian baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky in it.  He can feed me them anytime! The second concert was in St. Andrew's which is the Anglican church, very different acoustics so not quite the same intimate atmosphere as the embassy.

                                         The Moscow Mellow Divas at the Norwegian Embassy



The BWC's Bazaar was the following week at the British Embassy.  The British Embassy is a horrible glass monstrosity with no individual features to make it look aesthetically pleasing or even welcoming and there wasn't a sign of the British Ambassador.  I did pick up lots of goodies from the various artisans and an interesting book about the Moscow Metro.

I have had my first cold of the winter and boy was it a bad one! Tried taking Lemsips but they didn't even touch it so  D  recommended 'Terraflu'. The name alone should make colds run away screaming but it did help and I slowly recovered but had a week off work due to it.

This evening I went to L's School Christmas concert and it was really good, despite it being all in Russian. I recognised 'Snow White and the Seven Tap Dancing Dwarfs' and then a telling of the Nutcracker with some of Tchaikovsky's glorious score interspersed with some Russian pop numbers and it sounded fine.  Afterwards while waiting for 'I' to come out I noticed how well dressed some of the women were. 'I' was in Chanel and there were Prada, Gucci and Hermes bags galore and there's me with my Accessorize bag and Joules scarf.

I am not back in Moscow until the 1st February but I have loved my first three months here and have enjoyed having a social life again and meeting lots of different people but I'm looking froward to going home and it being quiet. City living is convenient but noisy and I shall enjoy having a ten minute walk into the centre of town instead of a twenty minute metro ride.

There probably won't be any blogging again until I am back so I  hope you have enjoyed reading my blog and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment